Friday, March 28, 2014

A Real Bakery and Eatery

I recently sampled a selection of delectable, scrumptious, wonderfully delicious baked goods at Market Roost on Main Street.  Baked goods is probably not the right word for what I found.


I didn't know quite what to expect at this combination of fine pastry shop, eatery, and caterer.   My daughter was arriving home for spring break and I thought it would be the perfect excuse to grab a few treats.  After all, the poor dear must be famished.

I'm half Italian and really have a soft spot for canolis.  These look gorgeous!


I did't actually get the canoli because I'd been dying to try their creation called the Cronut.


I also grabbed a few of these Linzer tarts and some Carrot Cake to round out our dessert indulgence.  While I was there Carol was slicing up some kind of a brandy spice cake? or was it rum?  

It looked soooo good!

In fact everything looked like it was straight out of a magazine foodie shoot.  Carol and Norman Todd are the owners and hosts of Market Roost.  Carol is a Master Pastry Chef.
The interior reminds me of a French street cafe complete with market umbrella.


The large wood sideboard adds extra charm and warmth to the room.

Chef Norman, who is a Culinary Institute graduate, seems to really enjoy cooking and everything in the case looks super delicious. 
The Bistro Pizza looks so tasty.  I can't wait to go back and try some of the lunches and entrees.  Restaurant Week in Flemington starts next week and will be the perfect opportunity for a lunch out.
This chowder looks wonderful too.

Market Roost was  listed as one of NJ's Best Breakfasts this past January.  Hello Egg's Benedict!  yum...
You can really tell that Carol and Norman take great pride in their establishment.  Fresh flowers were everything and there's even a nice selection of accoutrements for your next gathering or hostess gift. 

So how were the Cronuts?
  

All I can say is that though this may have been my first Cronut, it will most certainly not be my last.  Carol told me to warm them in the oven briefly prior to serving. 

 They were quite simply the most divine, buttery, warm goodness.  In fact the description I gave my neighbor prompted her to run right over to Market Roost the next day.

 No trans fats or cookie cutter store bought cake here.  This is a fine pastry establishment.

  I wish I had taken a picture of the dessert plate before it was all polished off!  It was Simply Superb!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk - leave a comment!